Friday, December 25, 2009

Best two zines of 2009


While the world of self-published comics seems to grow bigger with each new year, I feel like the traditional prose-type zine has become strangled by this new love for comics storytelling. So this is why I'm letting you know that there are some great non-comics zines out there being made today. My two favorite zines this year are Somnambulist 15 by Martha Grover and the newly revamped I Was Born But 2 by Emily Nilsson. Both are excellent.

Somnambulist 15 is my favorite issue so far and deals with the Grover Family meetings where each member of the family airs their grievances, frustrations, and family responsibilities. The dialogue is so honest and true. By the end of the issue we come to know this family better than we could have if it were told any other way. Probably the funniest thing I've read in a while.

I was Born But 2 tells several weird true and almost forgotten stories about mental illness and strange people. From detailed biographies of Opal Whiteley, The Papin sisters, The Gibbons Twins and movie reviews such as the obscure Crispin Glover film What is It?

No comments:

Post a Comment